Viewed from a lifecycle perspective, a standard online UPS system isn't truly uninterruptible. At some point it will be necessary to take the UPS off line for maintenance–and that means costly system downtime. But with Eaton's Hot-Swap Solutions, the UPS can be repaired or replaced at any time, while keeping connected mission-critical equipment powered and fully operational.
Eaton offers Hot-Swap PDUs, which make any UPS hot-swappable, as well as Hot-Swappable Modular UPS Systems, which integrate a detachable Hot-Swap PDU. The key component of the hot-swappable design is a modular power distribution unit (PDU) that combines all input and output power connections with a manual bypass switch. The dual input and manual bypass features of the PDU enable UPS system maintenance–from battery replacement to complete power module exchange–without powering down connected mission-critical equipment and hiring costly service specialists.
How Hot-Swap Keeps You Online
The PDU features dual input power cables to support connection to separate Utility and UPS power sources. During normal operation, the PDU supplies conditioned power from the UPS to connected equipment. A manual transfer switch allows the load to be shifted from the UPS to direct primary power. The UPS may then be powered down and removed from service while connected mission-critical equipment remains powered and operational.
SmartOnline™ Hot-Swappable Modular UPS Systems
SmartOnline Hot-Swappable Modular UPS Systems feature a modular power distribution unit (PDU) that combines all input and output power connections with a manual bypass switch. Facility personnel can set the switch to bypass to allow live UPS maintenance. This eliminates power-related downtime and guarantees that power is never the weak link in high-availability systems.
Key Features and Benefits:
- True on-line operation–continuous AC-to-DC-to-AC power conversion creates pure sine wave with zero transfer time to battery–completely isolates connected equipment from power problems
- Runtime is expandable via daisy-chainable external battery packs
- N+1 configurability for efficient fault tolerance
Hot-Swap Power Distribution Units (PDUs)
Eaton Hot-Swap PDUs offer dual input cords and a manual bypass switch, enabling live-replacement of standard plug-in UPS systems for maintenance without interrupting connected server or networking loads.
Key Features and Benefits:
- Enable standard UPS systems to be removed, replaced or repaired without powering down a mission-critical connected load
- Minimize costly network downtime during scheduled UPS maintenance periods
- Dual power input cables and manual transfer switch with lighted status indicators